Recently govt has taken initiative to revise the Fixed medical allowance from Rs. 1000/- existing to Rs. 5000/- (Revised) pm for all central govt pensioners, Retired personnel of Para Military Forces and Defence services veterans. (Information source – Communication of MHA to WARB, CAPF, Govt of India). Fixed Medical allowance is applicable to pensioners except armed forces retirees. But some exceptions are there and Armed Forces retirees also may avail FMA. PCDA has published notification in Circular 616 related to detailed information on the applicability of FMA to Army Navy and Air Force Pensioners of all ranks. Lets have a look –
Reference:- This office Circular No. 451 dated 21.02.2011 – Circular No. 544 dated, 04.06.2015 & Circular No 586 dated 25.09.2017.
A copy of Gol, MoD letter No. 22(01)/2011/WE/D(Res-1) dated. 01.11.2018 on the above subject, which is self-explanatory, is forwarded herewith for information and necessary action.
2. As per ibid Govt letter Fixed – Medical Allowance (FMA) to Ex-Servicemen Pensioners and – Ex-Servicemen Family Pensioners is also admissible to ECHS members who are residing in Districts not covered by ECHS Polyclinic/ Armed Forces Hospitals / Ml Room upgraded to accommodate ESMs.
3. Those pensioners who are covered under this Govt order are required to submit the necessary application in the prescribed format to the nearest Stn HQ in triplicate. The Stn HQ will scrutinize the residential address of the ECHS member and verify the applicability or District in the address for FMA and confirm the authorization of FMA on the application in the prescribed format.
4. A separate communication will follow for submission of LPC-cum datasheet along with instructions in due course.
5. This circular has been uploaded on this office website www.pcdapension.nic.in for dissemination to all concerned.
1. The Dy. Secretary, Govt. of India, Ministry of PPG’ & P(Deptt. of P&PW),Lok Nayak Bhawan, New Delhi.
2. Director (Pensions), Govt. of India, Ministry of Defence D (Pen/Sers):, Sena Bhawan, Wing ‘A’ New Delhi.
3. Army HQrs Branch, PS-4(b) DHQ, PO New Delhi -110011. & 34 others.
Copy of the DESW, Sena Bhawan letter No 22(01)/2011/WE/D(Res-I) dt 01 Nov 2018.
Sub : Grant of Fixed Medical Allowance (FMA ) to Ex-Servide and Ex-Servicemen Family Pensioners who opted ECHS. residing in Districts not covered by ECHS Polyclinic Hospitals/ Mi Room upgraded to accommodate ES Is.
- In partial modification of Para 2(b) of Govt of of Ministry of Defence letter No.22(1)101/US(DESW)(Res) dated 30 December.2002, I am directed to convey the sanction of the Government to the payment of Fixed Medical .Allowance to Ex-Servicemen Pensioners and Family members. ECHS members and residing in Districts not covered by ECHS Polyclinics / Hospitals of Armed Forces / MI Rooms upgraded to accommodate ESM’s- as per -terms & conditions covered in succeeding paragraphs.
2. Entitlement of FMA to Ex-servicemen (ESM) Pensioners. and Ex-Servicemen (ESM) Family Pensioners will be governed by the-instructions on the subject issued by Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions( Deptt of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare) vide their OM No.4125/2008-P&PW(D) dated 19 Nov -2014, as amended from time to time.
3. Ex.-Servicemen Health Scheme (ECHS) membership is compulsory for all ESM Pensioners and ,entitled ESM Family Pensioner, those retired, discharged and on death of the serving armed forces personnel which occurred on or after 01 April 2003. Their contribution to ECHS membership is non refundable. All pre 01 April 2003 retirees have the option of either joining ECHS by remitting appropriate contribution and forfeiture of FMA or continue to draw FMA as hither to fore.
4. Despite, being an ECHS member, above mentioned ESM pensioners and ESM Family Pensioners residing in districts where no ECHS Polyclinic or Armed Forces hospital or Ml room upgraded to accommodate is available will be eligible for FMA as well as will be entitled for IPD treatment.
5. The residential address-of the ECHS members for payment of FMA / Cessation of FMA shall be the address indicated as the permanent address in his /her. PPO.
6. The list of districts for which FMA is to be paid at on date of issue of this order is given in the Appendix attached with this order. The list of districts for which FMA is to be paid will be issued on 01st January every year by MD, ECHS to PC/RC also uploaded in the ECHS website.
Commencement and restoration of FMA
7. As stated above, the ECHS members residing in a district where ECHS Polyclinic / Armed Forces Hospital / MI Room upgraded upgraded to accommodate ESMs is not available can seek commencement of FMA payment through his/her Pension Disbursing Agency (PDA) /Authorised PDB, by submitting ……….Read more
Remaining Content of the letter / Circular 616 is available in pdf form – list of stations eligible for FMA is also available in pdf form as mentioned below :-
The above information is applicable to those veterans and Family pensioners who are residing at the scheduled area which is marked as – “not covered by ECHS facility”. Every ear, MD ECHS supposed to publish a list of such areas and must be published in the official website of the ECHS but unfortunately, the list is not available for the last 4 years. It is expected that the Central Organisation ECHS will pay attention on the matter and we will get the updated list soon.