ECHS members are mostly resettled themselves at near by locations of the Military Stations in order to avail the Medial and CSD facilities. However a large number of ECHS members are not able to avail the ECHS medical / CSD benefits due to residing in far flung areas and difficult to communicate with the ECHS/CSD located in Military/non military stations.
Considering the facts above, ECHS Central Organisation has extended the option to avail the FMA (Fixed Medical Allowances ) to such veterans/family pensioners. Details of the provision has been narrated in the letter which is reproduced below :-
|Tele : 011-25683475 Telefax: 011-25682392
PC-II to B/49791-FMA/AG/ECHS
ECHS Adjutant General’s Branch
IHQ of MoD (Army)
Near Gopinath Circle
Delhi Cantt – 110010
II Jan 2019
SO ECHS, IHQ of MoD (Navy)
Air HQ (VB) (D Fin P) / PD DAV (SP)
HQ Southern Command (A/ECHS)
HQ Eastern Command (A/ECHS)
HQ Western Command (A/ECHS)
HQ Central Command (A/ECHS)
HQ Northern Command (A/ECHS)
HQ South Western Command (A/ECHS)
HQ Andeman & Nicobar Command (A/ECHS)
EXECUTIVE INSTRUCTIONS : GRANT OF FIXED MEDICAL
ALLOWANCE (FMA) TO ECHS BENEFICIARIES
1. References :-
- Govt of India, Ministry of Defence letter No 22(01)/2011/ WE/D(Res-I) dated 01 Nov 2018 (copy enclosed).
- CGDA letter No AT-IV/4918/XXXVI dated 12 Dec 2018 vide which letter at Para 1 (a) has been promulgated to all PCDAs / CDAs for implementation (copy enclosed).
2. ECHS membership is a compulsory membership for all ESM pensioners
wef 01 Apr 2003. It is optional for pensioners prior to 01 Apr 2003. Once a person becomes a member, the same is irreversible. An ESM on becoming member of ECHS has to iforfeit the Fixed Medical Allowance (FMA). However, Govt of India, Min of Def vide their letter No 22(01)/2011/ WE/D(Res-I) dated 01 Nov 2018 has now sanctioned FMA to ECHS beneficiaries with the conditions as covered in succeeding paragraphs.
3. Mandatory Conditions. FMA has been made applicable to the following categories of primary ECHS beneficiaries :-
- There is no ECHS Polyclinic in his / her district.
- There is no service hospital in his / her district.
4. List of Applicable Districts.
- List of districts which make a person eligible is as per Appendix to Govt letter at Para 1 (a). There are 365 districts meeting this criteria at this stage.
- Since Govt keeps creating new districts besides redrawing district boundaries, these will be notified by Ops 8v Coord Section of Central Organisation ECHS for information to all besides being uploaded on ECHS website on 01 Jan every year.
- Even if a district is notified, FMA will be applicable only if conditions at Para 3 above are fulfilled.
5. Address at the Time of Superannuation / Discharge from Service with Pension.
(a) Due to domestic, job and multiple other factors, ESM keep getting re-located from one place to another. The address at the time of grant of pension / family pension will be the basis to ascertain whether an ESM belongs to an applicable district as defined at Para 4 above. The data of this address will be taken from the following :-
- Permanent address as recorded in PPO.
- In case of PPOs not having permanent address, address as recorded in Pension Book / Discharge Book.
- Any other service document which gives permanent address at the time of grant of pension / family pension.
(b) While provisions exist for change of permanent address, the same will not be applicable for grant of FMA if changed after grant of pension / family pension. There is no restriction in change of permanent address while in service but the permanent address on the first day of eligibility for pension / family pension will be the address for applicability of FMA.
(c) It is the responsibility of ESM opting for FMA to ensure that he / she applies for FMA only if his / her permanent address as recorded at the time of grant of pension / family pension is part of applicable districts. Wrong data when detected will make such an ESM ineligible for ECHS membership alongwith his / her dependants. Station HQs will also verify this at the time of processing the applications.
Options / Restrictions for FMA Beneficiaries
6. Option for FMA
Even if eligibility conditions are met, an ESM may not opt for FMA. / Unless an ESM applies, FMA will not commence automatically even if eligibility conditions are fulfilled. Those who opt for FMA being eligible will cease to draw FMA once any of the facilities as per Para 3 get created. Once opted for FMA, individual ESM will not have any choice to apply for stoppage of FMA. Stoppage will be only based when any of the three conditions as per Para 3 are created.
7. Restrictions for Those Opting for FMA. Persons opting for FMA will not be eligible for OPD care through ECHS for themselves and their dependants. These are as under :-
No OPD treatment from any ECHS Polyclinic.
No OPD treatment from any Service Hospital.
No OPD treatment from any Service MI Room.
No OPD treatment from any empanelled hospital.
No reimbursement from any 1-lospital for OPD treatment including Govt Hospitals
No medicines from any ECHS Polyclinic.
- No medicines except those given during inpatient treatment or at the time of discharge from Service Hospital / Govt Hospital / Empanelled Hospital as applicable as per ECHS norms.
8. Grant of FMA. ESM / family pensioner will be eligible for grant of FMA @ Rs 1000/- per month despite being an ECHS member or an amount as amended by Govt from time to time.
- The date of commencement of FMA will be the first day of the subsequent second month in which the pensioner has submitted the application, eg, FMA will commence from 01st Jul for all applications submitted during 01st May to 31st May. Station HQ must issue the receipt with date and ESM must maintain copy of the same.
- When any of the conditions as specified in Paras 3 & 4 are
fulfilled, FMA will be ceased and OPD will recommence. The date of cessation of FMA will be the first day of the following second month when such conditions are fulfilled. ESM will also need to apply.
- In case of delay in processing, PCDA / CDA concerned will grant /
recover arrears from ESM as per Para 8 (a) to (c) above.
9. Commencement / Restoration of FMA.
(a) As stated above, the ECHS member residing in a district where ECHS Polyclinic / Service Hospital / Upgraded MI Room is not available can seek commencement of FMA payment through his/her Pension Distribution Authority (PDA) /Authorised Pension Disbursing Bank, by submitting an application in the prescribed format at Appendix A to the nearest Military Station/Air Force Station/ Naval Station (ECHS Cell) in triplicate. Distribution of ibid applications will be as under :-
- Original Copy. The Original copy will be forwarded to 0/0 PCDA (Pension) Allahabad, O/o PCDA (0) Pune, O/o PCDA (Navy 86 Coast Guard) Mumbai, O/o JCDA (AF) New Delhi-10 (“as applicable” and similar office pertaining to the ECHS member”) for endorsement in PPO/issue of corrigendum PPO/updating Pension Records of Pensioners/Family Pensioners managed by Centralised Pension Processing Centres of Banks.
- Duplicate Copy. The duplicate copy will be received by designated, Regional Centre ECHS from the Stn HQ for uploading the same in PDF and onward transmission to Cent Org ECHS. Thereafter forward the hardcopy to concerned Record Offices at Centre/Air Force Record Office, New Delhi 10, Naval Pay Office, Colaba, Mumbai, Army HQ /Naval HQ /Air HQ[PD DAV] Bureau of Naviks, Mumbai (“as the Fase may be” and “similar office pertaining to the ECHS member”) for retaining in concerned Pensioners’ Records.
- Triplicate Copy. The triplicate Copy will be retained with
Stn HQ (ECHS Cell) which will retain the application for a period of three years. Thereafter, these can be disposed off in the normal manner as prevailing in the respective services.
(b) Based on the ibid original application, O/o PCDA (Pension) Allahabad, O/o PCDA (Navy 86 Coast Guard) Mumbai, 0/o JCDA(AF) New Delhi-10 (“as applicable and similar office pertaining to the ECHS member”) will sanction FMA &, endorse in PPO / issue of corrigendum PPO updating Pension Records of Pensioners / Family Pensioners it managed by Centralised Pension Processing Centres of Banks/DPDO.
(c) Cessation of FMA. The cessation of FMA by PDA / bank would be based on a certificate (Appendix B) issued by Central Organisation ECHS through existing chain of Command & Control regarding the operationalisation of ECHS Polyclinic / Armed Forces Hospital in a district with the commencement date. The smart card of the ESM will be updated on the status of FMA and medical facility available to him. ESM and Stn HQ will be also responsible for prompt action.
Provision for IPD Treatment
- ESM alongwith his / her dependants will continue to be eligible for IPD treatment as applicable to all other ECHS members. Procedures for IPD treatment will be same for emergency treatment. As regards planned IPD treatment, the ECHS beneficiary will be required to initially obtain lab tests / diagnostics / prelim examination by a Medical Officer clearly endorsing the requirement of IPD based treatment. He will then obtain a referral from parent ECHS Polyclinic for treatment. The authority for the referral, however, will be the decision of Medical Officer at the ECHS Polyclinic. Subsequent treatment and bill processing will follow the existing process. ECHS Polyclinic will be utilised only for decision for IPD referral and if required, for issue of IPD referral as applicable in that Polyclinic.
- The current card of all ESM and their dependants will be marked with permanent marker by Stn HQ once the application is submitted by ESM to concerned Stn HQ. Use of any OPD facility from the date of applicability for FMA as expkained at Para 8 (b), eg in given example of tlie case, marking will be made – “No OPD – 01 JUL 2019” or as the case may be. Any use of OPD facility by ESM and his / her dependants thereafter will result in cancellation of all cards permanently. Record of such persons will also be kept in parent ECHS Polyclinic.
- As detailed at Para 9 above, all Stn HQs will maintain details of all persons granted FMA and same will 1be forwarded to Stats & Auto Section of Central Organisation ECHS through concerned Regional Centre ECHS. This data will be shared with UTI ITSL by Central Organisation and UTI ITSL shall ensure that OPD referrals for such persons for consultation and diagnostics or any other OPD treatment at ECHS Polyclinics and / or empanelled facilities is not generated.
- Once cessation of OPD facilities consequent to grant of FMA takes place, the information will be updated as per format below :-
DETAILS FOR CESSATION OF OPD FACILITIES CONSEQUENT
TO GRANT OF FMA BY STN HQ TO CENTRAL ORG ECHS
(STATS & AUTOMATION)
|Name of Beneficiary
|Type of ECHS Card (32
/ 64 Kb)
|ECHS Card No
|Date of Applica- tion
|Date of Cessation of FMA
- The details of individual as forwarded by Stn HQ as per format given above will be forwarded to Bill Processing Agency and Smart Card Making Agency to carry out following :-
(a) Bill Processing Agency (BPA). To carry out under mentioned actions for both 32 & 64 Kb Card bidders :-
(1) BPA will ensure that the individuals granted FMA are not provided OPD treatment from any of the empanelled facilities.
For remaining portion of the Letter of ECHS kindly follow the PDF File Link here.
Government of India
Ministry of Defence
(Deptt. of Ex-Servicemen Welfare )
Sena Bhavan, New Delhi
Dated 01st November 2018
The Chief of Army Staff
The Chief of Naval Staff
The Chief of Air Staff
Sub : Grant of Fixed Medical Allowance (FMA) to Ex-Servicemen Pensioners and Ex-Servicemen Family Pensioners who are ECHS members and residing in Districts not covered by ECHS Polyclinic / Armed Forces Hospitals / MI Room upgraded to accommodate ESMs.
In partial modification of Para 2(b) of Govt. of India, Ministry of Defence letter No.22(1)I01/US(WE)/D(Res) dated 30 December 2002, I am directed to convey the sanction of the Government to the payment of Fixed Medical Allowance to Ex-Servicemen Pensioners and Family pensioners, who are ECHS members and residing in Districts not covered by ECHS Polyclinic / Armed Forces Hospital / MI Rooms upgraded to accommodate ESMs as per terms & conditions covered in succeeding paragraphs.
- Entitlement of FMA to Ex-servicemen (ESM) Pensioners and Ex-Servicemen (ESM) Family Pensioners will be governed by the instructions on the subject issued by Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions ( Deptt. of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare) vide their OM No.4/25/2008-P&PW(D) dated 19 Nov 2014, as amended from time to time.
- Ex-Servicemen Health Scheme (ECHS) membership is compulsory for all ESM Pensioners and entitled ESM Family Pensioners, those retired, discharged and on death of the serving armed forces personnel which occurred on or after 01 April 2003. Their contribution to ECHS membership is non refundable . All pre 01 April 2003 retirees have the option of either joining ECHS scheme by remitting appropriate contribution and forfeiture of FMA or continue to draw FMA as hither to fore.
- Despite, being an ECHS member, above mentioned ESM pensioners and ESM Family Pensioners residing in districts, where no ECHS Polyclinic or Armed Force hospital or MI room upgraded to accommodate ESMs is available will be eligible for FMA as well as will be entitled for IPD treatment.
- The residential address of the ECHS member for payment of FMA / Cessation of FMA shall be the address indicated as the permanent address in his /her PPO.
- The list of districts for which FMA is to be paid as on date of issue of this order is given in Appendix attached with this order. The list of districts for which FMA is to
- be paid will be issued on 01st January every year by MD, ECHS, to PCs/RCs and also uploaded in the ECHS website.
7 Commencement / Restoration of FMA
As stated above, the ECHS member residing in a district where ECHS Polyclinic/ Armed Forces Hospital / Ml Room upgraded to accommodate ESMs is not available can seek commencement of FMA payment through his/her Pension Disbursing Agency (PDA) /Authorised Pension Disbursing Bank, by submitting an application in the prescribed format to the nearest Stn. HQ in triplicate. The Stn HQ will scrutinize the residential address of the ECHS member and verify the applicability of District in the address for FMA and confirm the authorization of FMA on the application in the prescribed format. Distribution of ibid application, will be as under :
(a) Original Copy The Original Copy of the application will be forwarded to 0/o PCDA (Pension), Allahabad, 0/o PCDA (0) Pune, 0/o PCDA ( Navy & Coast Guard) Mumbai, 0/o JCDA (AF) New Delhi-10 (“as applicable” and “similar office pertaining to the ECHS member of other services/establishment”) by Stn. HQ for endorsement in PPO/issue of corrigendum PPO/updating Pension Records of Pensioners/family Pensioners.
(b) Duplicate Copy The duplicate copy will be forwarded to the
concerned Regional Centre ECHS by Stn HQ for uploading the same in PDF format in the data base and to thereafter forward the hardcopy to concerned Record Office as mentioned in the application form for retaining in Pensioners’ record.
( c) Triplicate Copy The triplicate copy will be returned to the
ESM by the Stn HQ (ECHS Cell) duly endorsed with verification of district as per format.
- Based on ibid original application, 0/o PCDA (Pension ) Allahabad, 0/o PCDA (Navy & Coast Guard) Mumbai, 0/o JCDA (AF) New Delhi-10 ( “as applicable and similar office pertaining to the ECHS member of other services/establishment”) will sanction FMA & endorse in PPO/ issue of corrigendum PPO for updating Pension Records of Pensioners/family Pensioners maintained by Centralised Pension Processing Centres of Banks/DPDO etc. The date of commencement of FMA will be the first day of the subsequent second month in which the Pensioner has submitted the application ( e.g. FMA will commence from 1st July for all applications submitted during 1st May to 31st May).
- Cessation of OPD Facilities An ESM who is drawing FMA will not be entitled to OPD facility at ECHS Polyclinic and Armed Forces Hospital. He is also not eligible for referral to Empanelled facilities for treatment in OPD. The ECHS smart card of the ESM will be endorsed with such details regarding facility available to him / her. The date of Cessation of OPD will be the First day of the following second month in which the pensioner has submitted the application e.g. OPD will cease from 1st July for all applications submitted during 1st May to 31st May.
- Cessation of FMA The cessation of FMA, in the event of opening a new Polyclinic in the District, by PDA/bank would be based on a certificate issued by CO, ECHS through existing chain of Command & Control regarding the operationalisation of ECHS Polyclinic. With effect from following month in which ECHS Polyclinic is operationalised, the entitlement of FMA for the above pensioners residing permanently in that district will cease. Any FMA paid in excess will be recovered from his subsequent pensionary entitlements. The ECHS card of the ESM will be updated on the status of FMA and medical facility available to him.
- These orders will be come into effect from 1st of subsequent month from the date of issue.
- This issues with the concurrence of Ministry of Defence (Finance/Pension) vide their UO No.33(145)/12.FP dated 5-10-2018.
Under Secretary to the Govt of India
Copy to :
- AG, IHQ of MoD(Army).
- COP, IHQ of MoD(Navy).
- AOA, Air HQ (VB)
- CGDA, New Delhi
- MD, ECHS
Copy for information to :
- _SO to RM
- PS to RRM
9 PPS to Secy ESW
10 PPS to FA (DS)
11 PS to JS(ESW)
12 Ps to Add!. FA & JS (RK) MoD(Fin)
APPENDIX TO MoD ORDER NO. 22(01)2011/VVE/D(Res-1) dated 01.11.2018
|LIST OF DISTRICTS NOT COVERED BY ECHS POLYCLINICS/ ARMED
|FORCES CLINICS/MI ROOMS UPGRADED TO ACCOMMODATE ESMs
|No Of DISTRICTS NOT COVERED BY ECHS POLYCLINICS/ ARMED FORCES CLINICS/MI ROOMS UPGRADED TO ACCOMMODATE ESMs
|Andaman 86 Nicobar
|North and Middle Andaman
|Lower Dibang Valley_________ Lower Subansiri
|Dimahasao (North Cachar
|South Salamara Mankachar
|West Karbi Anglong
for more details of the Districts covered under FMA eligibility please click below –
- How to Update PAN and Email ID on SPARSH Portal Once you have received your SPARSH user ID and Password… Read more: How to Update PAN and Email ID on SPARSH Portal
- DA Crossed 50% in January and Now DA for July 24 based on AICPN is more PositiveAs you all know, inflation has already exceeded 50% since… Read more: DA Crossed 50% in January and Now DA for July 24 based on AICPN is more Positive
- Ex-servicemen may Get Refund of Lakhs of Rupees : Eligible Pensioners Apply NowThere is great news for Ex-servicemen. Many pensioners have noticed… Read more: Ex-servicemen may Get Refund of Lakhs of Rupees : Eligible Pensioners Apply Now
- Ex-servicemen and Soldiers Honoured : Salute to these Private OrganisationsExservicemen and soldiers feel honoured as they have been respected… Read more: Ex-servicemen and Soldiers Honoured : Salute to these Private Organisations
- Reality of Modernisation projects of Indian ArmyIn a discussion about the introduction of Agniveer, Colonel Shailendra… Read more: Reality of Modernisation projects of Indian Army
- On SPARSH Portal must Upload Income Tax Declaration : Follow this ProcessAfter OROP 2 and 7th CPC revision, pension of the… Read more: On SPARSH Portal must Upload Income Tax Declaration : Follow this Process