SPARSH has been introduced in the administration of Defence Pension. System of initiation of Family pension also changed with introduction of SPARSH.
We can’t escape from the reality that one day we must leave this material world. Our best effort should ensure that after demise of the pensioner, his family should get all the pensionary and other benefits smoothly. So, when we are in good health, we must educate our family members about the actions to be taken on death of the pensioner. In this article a detailed note of these actions described here. You may read this article in Hindi also .
On the occurrence of Death of a Pensioner
1. A doctor has to confirm and certify the death. If it takes place or is confirmed in a hospital, clinic or nursing home, get the certificate from the doctor attending or in charge. If at home, get a doctor to visit, confirm death and certify. The certificate is required to be taken and presented at the funeral place as without it the body will not be allowed to be cremated/ buried. If possible, get this certificate in duplicate so that one copy is available for reference if required later.
2. Make a few (3 or 4) copies of the receipt mentioned above for reference if required later. Keep ready a scanned copy in your phone also for reporting of deah through SPARSH to PCDA Allahabad.
Action Related to Reporting of Death for Family Pension on SPARSH Online
3. As soon as possible after collecting the necessary documents such as the death certificate, Report the death of pensioner on SPARSH Portal. Visit official website of SPARSH : https://sparsh.defencepension.gov.in/
After opening the SPARSH Portal, click on Services. Then Click on Report event – Death. You may find these msg to be appeared:
Inform the authorities online about demise of the pensioner, with necessary documents to be submitted for verification.
IMPORTANT: Incorrect or false reporting is liable to action by the department. Click on CONTINUE to report.
Then click on Continue.
Here you need to put following details:
To ensure correctness of your data, must keep ready your PPO in folder which is most important. If SPARSH profile created, then must get a copy of your latest SPARSH PPO and keep in your Master Folder.
Put service of deceased pensioner – Army/ Navy /Air Force/ Civilian
Put the PPO Number of deceased pensioner
Put the Name as per PPO of deceased pensioner
Now put Reporter Details (Who is reporting) on the lower part of the form :
Name – First name, middle name & Last name
Relation – if the pensioner was husband and wife is reporting then select here – spouse
Mobile number and email ID of the reporter.
Now click on validate and proceed. It will be processed duly authenticated with OTP.
You will be to upload death certificate and ID proof of reporter.
After few days, you will receive a msg that the report has been accepted. A verification may be carried out by the SPARSH.
Then Initiation of family pension can be done in the SPARSH portal by clicking the Initiate Family Pension button. Here you will find claimant detail and claim details. At Claimant details Part-need to put details of Entitled Family Pensioner as per details below :
Keep ready a Scan Copy of Aadhar Card, PAN card, Bank Pass Book and other personal details. These to be uploaded .
It will take 2-4 week for processing family pension and A msg will be received on the mobile number provided. Then login to SPARSH and complete identification for getting family pension. It is final step and now family pension will be credited from the month.
4. Beside the action as above, send the physical copy of death certificate as soon as possible alongwith an application for intimation and request for extending benefits as applicable to Dept of Sainik Welfare/ ZSB & Record office concerned, AGIF/insurance authority concerned and Bank.
Explain to your spouse and other family members the purpose of the whole exercise, the details contained above and the place where the master folder is kept. Make sure that they understand all the requirements and will be able to take action as necessary when the time comes. They should also know what to do and how to do. The reporting and initiation of family pension through SPARSH may be done by self or approaching a CSC or SPARSH Service centre. Hundreds of SPARSH Service centre available throughout the country. You may approach any one of the Service centres.
Have you already done this or else do it now?
Check if your pension account is joint?
Ensure spouses and your date of birth is entered correctly in the account details.
Keep ready your SPARSH user ID and Password.
Keep details of your PPO number carefully and let your spouse know about it. Write it on the passbook.
Become a member of ECHS it is to your advantage in a serious illness.
Check if you are getting correct Pension/Family pension.
The SPARSH issues pension slip every month. You may download it using user ID and Password.
JCO and below please check if you are getting revised pension as per OROP revision wef 01.07.2019. This increase is for all.
If you are getting disability element (pension) then ensure you have given the form to the bank for increase in pension. Old disability upto 49% is now 50% old 50 to 75 % is now 75% and beyond that it is 100% .The pension is also applicable to those who served with the disability and not invalidated. Diability element is not applicable on family pension.
Keep all your accounts and financial documents in joint name
Do not handover the original PPO and other documents to anyone .Please give only xerox copies.
Make your will and keep it safe with someone you trust. Keep your spouse informed. Amend it as and when required. A will does not need to be registered and should be signed by any two individuals who have no interest in the will.
Every year in Nov ensure Life Certificate is given to the bank. You may complete the life certificate using SPARSH Portal or jeevan Praan website. Offline/physical LC need not be signed by the branch manager of the Bank paying pension but any of the following :
A serving or pensioned person exercising the powers of a Magistrate under the criminal procedure code (Act-V of 1898).
A registrar or sub-registrar appointed under the Indian Registration Act 1908 (XVI of 1908).
A Gazetted Officer.
A police officer not below the rank of Sub-Inspector incharge of Police station.
Post Master, a Departmental Sub-Post Master or an Inspector of Post Office.
Officers of the Reserve Bank of India and other PSBs in respect of pensioners drawing pension from Banks.
The head of the village Panchayat, Gram Panchayat or Head of an executive committee of a village.
EXECUTION OF WILL
All Wills should be clear-cut unambiguous and precise. Please refer to AO 4/91.
- An Executor can be a beneficiary under the Will.
- Witnesses cannot be beneficiaries under the Will.
- All Wills are revocable. However, in case of revoking any Will especially so a registered
Will – it should be clearly stated in the latest Will that, “All previous Wills, whether registered or
un-registered, whatsoever and wherever, stand revoked and cancelled”. This will avoid any controversies.
- It should be noted that a registered Will takes precedence over an un-registered Will.
in case of any revocation or alteration of an earlier Will, the latest Will must be registered.
- Probate is mandatory for immovable properties situated in West Bengal, Pondicherry, Chennai and Mumbai. The Executor of the Will has to apply for the probate in the courts concerned in these States.
- Probate is not necessary in other States of India, especially so if the Will is a valid registered document.
Choice of an Executor
- Execution of any Will rests with the Executor of the Will. Hence it is imperative that the executor be an honest, trustworthy and reliable person.
- It is advisable to have a younger person in good health as an Executor, to try and ensure that he/she does not pre-decease the Testator of the Will. To avoid such an eventuality, an Alternative Executor may also be appointed in any Will.
- It is advisable to appoint a reliable lawyer as an Executor, in case the property has to be
divided amongst different heirs, or if a Will gives only life interest to any one person and thereafter
the ownership rights vest with someone else.The Executor must know the contents of the Will and be will and be willing to execute the
Will according to the wishes of the Testator.12. The Executor must be a resident of the same town as the Testator, to enable him to execute
the concerned Will, legally and expeditiously.
Choice of WitnessesWitnesses need not know the contents of the Will, but they must be present at the time with the Testator and all of them must sign the Will in the presence of each otherBeneficiaries cannot be Witnesses to any Will.Witnesses should preferably be younger to the Testator, of sound integrity and good
financial position, to ensure that they cannot be “bought over” by any disgruntled beneficiary or relations.Witness should also be permanent residents of the same town as the Testator, so that they can easily give evidence in Court, if so required.
Contents of a WillIt is advisable Not to disclose the contents of a Will to the beneficiaries. Such disclosure
generally leads to un-necessary arguments, and harassment of the Testator.
A WORD OF CAUTION
- It has been observed that the tendency to treat the elderly dependents with a degree of callousness, is becoming rampant in our society today. It is therefore advisable that the Testator of WILL makes full provisions for financial independence for self and spouse while executing a Will.
ACTION TO BE TAKEN ON DEMISE OF LIFE PARTNER
- In case of death due to an accident lodge an FIR at the nearest Police Station, and get their written clearance before last rites are performed.
- Arrange last rites even in cases of natural demise only after getting Medical Certificate of Death from a doctor. Intimate location, date and time for ‘Chautha’/Prayer meeting to all concerned preferably through an insertion in the News Paper(s).
- Publish Obituary in Local Paper(s).
- Obtain Death Certificate-20 or more copies from the Municipal Authority for Registration of Births and Deaths. These are required to be submitted with all claims.
- Forward the information with certified photocopy of the Death Certificate and relevant details of the deceased to the following: –
- Through SPARSH, online to PCDA (Pension), Records Office/ AG’s Branch MP 5 (b), PS-4 and Army Officer’s Benevolent Fund/(PAO/OR)
- AGI For life Insurance cover as applicable.
- Bankers For family pension, FDs, Loans (if any) and Locker.
- Station HQ Surrender Identity card of the deceased and issue of Canteen Card.
- Clubs For transfer of membership or refund of security deposit as applicable.
- Municipal Authority/AWHO/DDA (as applicable) For transfer of House/Apartment to single name of the surviving spouse as per the WILL of the deceased.
- MTNL For transfer of tele connection and future billing.
- DVB For future billing for power consumption.
(j) ITO For closing the IT file of the deceased and linking up with the Files of beneficiaries. Also applicable for wealth Tax assessment.
(k) Licensing Authority For Motor Vehicles, and Personal Arms and farm Machinery – Tractors etc.
- LIC/GIC For insurance policies covering Life, Medical, Property etc.
- Rajya Sainik Board For issue of Ex-servicemen Widow’s Identity Card.
- Obtain Probate of WILL if required by applying to the Distt Judge under Indian Succession Act 1925.